Choosing an adoption agency and/or an attorney is a process that may present several opportunities. It is important to select the adoption professional that best meets your needs. Here is a list of suggestions to help you as the birth mother or member of the birth family make the right choice for your adoption professional.
- Get referrals from friends or others that have adopted or have placed their child for adoption
- Ask how long the attorney or agency has been working in adoption
- Find out what services they provide before and after the adoption
- Find out if there are any costs of the adoption that you must cover
- If needed, ask if the agency places minority or biracial children
- Ask the adoption agency for a list of referrals
- Determine if the adoption professional works with open or closed adoption and the attorney’s views and experience with both types. Christian Adoptions Alliance recommends pursuing open adoptions as the healthiest option for all three members of the adoption triad.
- Inquire about the availability and credibility of counseling
- Learn about the adoption plan, contract, and decrees
- See what the procedures are for finding out the health and stability of the adoptive parents. Can you review profiles, interview, and pick the family that you give to your baby.